Sunday, March 22, 2015

Making Strawberries Last

How many times have you gotten some beautiful, juicy strawberries only to find that they spoil the next day?  It's frustrating and I hate the wasted money and fruit!  I recently received 10 lbs of fresh Florida strawberries!  YUM!  My kids love these so much they ate a pint the first day!  While some will be frozen, others will be used for baking, I want majority to munch on.  And that means I need them to last more than a  couple of days! 
 
Don't these look absolutely SCRUMPTIOUS!
 I was given a little tip by the woman selling these so I thought I'd share my helpful little nugget of information.  The key to having strawberries (or any berry really) last longer is to kill the mold spores.   This is super easy.  All  you need is white vinegar and water!  I used 2 cups white vinegar with 6 cups water. (Half this if you have a smaller amount of berries)   I put the mixture in my salad spinner (but a colander in the sink works as well) and added in the berries! 





I let them soak about 5 minutes, giving them a swirl or two with my hand.  Once they've had a good soak, I rinsed them off and set them out to dry!  You want to make sure they dry completely before you put them away.  If you plan on using the same container you bought them in, make sure you wash and dry that as well.    Enjoy your berries!   
Squeaky clean and ready to EAT!


Vinegar Bath Solution for Berries

1 C vinegar
3 C cold water
Berries

Combine all in sink or salad spinner.  Let soak for 5 minutes, rinse and dry. 




No comments:

Post a Comment