Monday, January 12, 2015

Having a Supportive Partner

Recently I was sitting down watching junk tv.  While scrolling through the guide I found TLC's My 600 lb Life.  Sometimes I watch these shows out of curiosity.  What is their life like?  What got them to this state?  Or simply - to watch their transformation.  This particular episode was a woman whose spouse was incredibly unsupportive..  She worked very hard and was making progress.  Her husband was not saying nice things, going to fast food joints - it was hard to watch.  My heart ached for this woman who was changing her life for the better.  Not just for herself but for her daughter.  Mostly, it made me grateful.

My husband has been far from perfect.  He has said hurtful things in the past.  He has a dry sense of humor and doesn't always realize when he's crossed the line.  I guess it's like treating me "like one of the guys." or something.  Anyways - thats another story for another day.  At one point many years ago, I sat him down and told him how hurtful his jokes were.  I know he was trying to make me laugh but...they didn't.  He felt bad and apologized - he really didn't think it was hurting my feelings. I also told him that food is such a huge struggle for me.  I explained to him that I needed his help.   If I was going to do this journey, I needed him to be on it too.  To my surprise, he agreed.

He has been wonderful ever since and I can honestly say he is to credit for some of my weight loss.  Just having his support, encouragement, understanding and love has been a big help to me.  I couldn't imagine doing it without his support.  In fact, I'm pretty sure I would have given up. He has been there for my ups and downs.  My weight loss and my weight gain.   My food binges and my health nut stages.  He's done it all.  I am so grateful for his support, even when I'm yelling at him because "I'm on my period and damnit I'm going to eat this piece of chocolate!"  I truly am lucky.

In fact, he's currently helping me by following the 21 Day Fix program with me!  It makes a difference having someone you live with be your very own accountability partner.  He's even following along with the meal plan.  We took pictures of each other, measurements and encourage each other daily.  It will be interesting to see the results when we are done.  And it's nice doing it together.   Lately I feel like there is not a lot we have in common anymore.  But getting healthy together is a goal of ours so...here we are.  And it's been eye opening. 

His support is priceless.  If your partner is not supportive, I truly encourage you to have a heart to heart with them. They really may not realize that they are being hurtful.  If your partner is going through some changes or struggles, support them.  Changing, be it health, career, lifestyle, is hard.  It's even harder when the person you love does not stand by you.  


No comments:

Post a Comment